Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Definition of Insanity

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

A long time ago I went to 23 interviews in a row, with no call backs. I said to myself "self, you have to do something different, because what you're doing just isn't working." I stopped interviewing for about 4 weeks. I adjusted my approach to regroup. When I started interviewing again, I went to 3 different interviews and received job offers from all 3 companies. More on what I did in another blog entry.

The point is if your resume isn't working by getting you interviews, then something needs to change. Have other people take a look at it. Pay a professional to make you look good on paper. If another professional wants to put their 2 cents in too, take their advice as well. Everyone may have a different approach, but each suggestion may enhance your resume. Use what feels comfortable, discard the rest.

The only way to know if the current version of a resume is working, is the results it achieves in getting you more interviews. If you float your resume to 5 companies and receive 1 response, that's a good return. If you float your resume to 100 companies and receive 1 response for an interview, it's time to revisit your resume presentation.

A resume is a constant work in progress. Update your resume the day after you start a new job. Then do it every 3 months.

Make Today Count!!
SirReid
"Empowering People for Life"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl: Its me Tammi. You have captured my attention all the way to the bottom of the page, very powerful message. Thank you