Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Follow Up is Spelled C-A-L-L

A few weeks back I met 2 people at a networking social. They were each personable, well spoken and engaging. They were also very much unemployed professionals. We exchanged business cards. I suggested they send me their resume to pass out to other people I know. I followed up the next day with an email. I reiterated my offer. 1 person emailed his resume the next day. The other person sent his resume about a week later.

I scanned each resume. I knew 2 people in hiring positions who might provide interviews for both people. Those 2 resumes are still sitting in my email system. Weeks have past and I have still not sent the resumes to anyone. If neither person was interested in their career enough to follow up with a call to me, why should I be interested in their career?

That's right. Get hot and call that person Right Now. Your resume may still in their inbox, just waiting to be passed on to an associate. A follow up call might make the difference between getting an interview or not.

It's always up to you. People care about your interests, when you show an interest.

No comments: