Sunday, January 07, 2007

Play on Words with College

Any college attended already implies a person went to high school. So eliminate high school, thereby making your resume appear more professional in presentation. Only amateurs put their high school, if they went to college. Using a play on words for any college experience, your resume can appear like you graduated from college. This is accomplished by putting only the last year of attendance.

If the wording gives people the perception you graduated from college, that's their issue not yours and it works in your favor. If you are asked specifically in an interview if you graduated college, then tell the truth. Although I attended college for 4 years, I did not graduate. During 25 years in the IT field [with at least a dozen job changes] I have only been asked twice if I graduated from college. When asked if I graduated, I said "no". I then proceeded to highlight finishing my B.S. in Computer Science requirements and my many years of practical experience in what I brought to the "valuable skills" table. I was just missing the liberal arts requirements.

Even if you went to college for one (1) semester, the education section of your resume can have the following suggested wording:

1997 - What's The Matter U[niversity] City, STate
Major: Business Administration (if you knocked out your "major" requirements) - OR Business Administration curriculum (if you only had a couple of 3 semesters)


The purpose of a resume is to obtain an INTERVIEW, not a job. Landing a job is up to you during the interview.

No comments: